Microsoft Excel is made up of several tables, which in turn constitutes rows and columns. The columns are arranged vertically while the rows are horizontally arranged.
The rows are designated by numbers – ”row numbers.” The row numbers are arranged vertically at the left-hand side of the excel sheet.
In the same vein, the columns are designated with a header – the ”column header.” The column header is horizontal, and it runs across the top of the excel sheet.
The number of rows and columns are the same in virtually all the versions of Excel. There are 1048576 rows, and they range from 1 to 1048576. Meanwhile, there are 16384 columns, and they range from A to XFD.
Owing to a large number of rows and columns, navigation through the excel spreadsheet is systematic. Many users usually ponder how to move to the last column or the last row.
To move to the last row, click ”Ctrl + Down navigation arrow.”
To move to the last column, click ”Ctrl + Right navigation arrow.”
In Excel, Cell is formed at the point where rows and columns intersect. You can easily identify your cell by combining the column header and the row number. For instance – A1, A2.
How to number your excel cells vertically.
There are many procedures in numbering your Excel cells vertically.
1. Locate the starting point cell and type the initial number. For instance, you can enter A2: 1.
2. Go ahead and locate the fill handle of A2.
3. Right-click on it and drag downwards as long as you desire.
4. Release it at your desired point.
5. Check the pop-up menu and select ”Fill series.”
1. Locate the first and second cells and enter 1 and 2, respectively.
2. Click and drag the two cells and copy downwards.
3. More so, you can enter 1 in the cell. Click and hold Ctrl and copy downwards.
1. This method involves a formula.
2. Type and enter the function below in the first cell and copy downwards.
- Firstly, type and fill values in the first few cells.
- Check the bottom right corner of the highlighted cells; you will find a square.
- Left-click the highlighted cells, drag the square downwards, and release it at your desired point.
All the methods explained above are very efficient in numbering your cells vertically. I hope they are comprehensive enough for your understanding.