Sometimes you may get data attached to some other data that you don't require. Luckily, Excel allows you to get rid of the extra characters. In this tutorial, we are going to look at how you can eliminate the last 4 characters.
Apart from removing the last characters, you can also remove the first characters that you do not need. That is the characters on your left or right. The best thing about all this is that you can remove these characters using a simple formula/ function or using software known as KUTOOLs.
Using the left function
If you are removing the last characters the left function is the most appropriate to use. Conversely, you can use the right Function to remove the first characters from the beginning of a text string.
1. Open your spreadsheet
2. Enter the following formula in an empty cell =LEFT(A4, LEN(A4)-4)
3. Press enter and the characters will be removed
In the example above we are have removed the last four characters. This formula can be used to remove as many characters as you want. Just replace 4 with the number of characters that you want to eliminate.
Using a user-defined function
Another easy way that you can remove both the first and last characters is by using the user-defined function.
1. Press Alt+F11 to open the window for Microsoft Visual Basic
2. Click insert module
3. Copy and paste the code below to the script editor
String, cnt As
RemoveLastC = Left(rng, Len(rng) – cnt)
4. save the code and return it to your spreadsheet
5. If you want to remove the last 4 characters in cell A5. Type =RemoveLastC(A5,4)
6. Press the enter Key
Replace A5, 4 with the cell the respective cells that you want to eliminate the last characters. The above two methods are very easy and they work with all versions of excel.
Use KUTOOLS software to remove the last 4 characters
Download KUTOOLS here and install it on your computer. This is will appear as a tab on your Excel and you can use it to simplify so many processes and manage your documents painlessly. Besides, it is a very small file of 48 MBS. Installation is easy and it does not upload any data or obtain any useful information.
Steps for removing the last 4 characters using KUTOOLS
1. Download and install KUTOOLS
2. Restart your Excel app
3. Click on Kutools and select remove by position
4. Enter the number of characters that you want to remove in the pop-up box that will appear.
5. Select the position that you want, i.e. right or left, and click apply.
You can also select as many cells as you can and eliminate the characters using kutools. Keep it as you are going to use it a lot as you work with Excel. I highly recommend using kutools as it is easy to install and use.