Excel is undoubtedly a very useful and good application when it comes to editing and scripting documents. However, they say anything with advantages has corresponding disadvantages; the same applies when working with Excel. Locking up and shutting down unexpectedly is a major problem experienced by Excel users when working on their workbooks. The following factors may bring about this problem:
- Outdated ms excel (Not updated).
- Conflict with installed adds-in in excel
- Conflict from other running processes
This tutorial will discuss the various ways to curb and control the defect of shutting down excel. Below are some of the recommended methods to tackle the mentioned excel problem.
Install latest excel version
The frequent shutdown of your excel may be a result of an old feature. To eliminate this, check and install the latest version of excel, and this may help to fix the bugs and thus to correct excel's shut down problem. Below are the steps to ease the procedure of updating Excel application:
1. Open and launch the excel application
2. Locate and click on the Grid icon located on the top leftmost side of the screen.
3. Then, select the "Excel's options" button. On the excel options screen, locate and click on the Resource button
4. Finally, click on check for updates and download and install the latest version of excel.
If the problem is yet not solved, try the next another method.
Removing faulty Add-ins
This method involves opening excel in safe mode. By opening the excel application in safe mode, the program can override the Adds-in features of excel. This method helps the users to check if the add-ins are working normally. To achieve this, follow these steps:
1. First, close Ms. Excel on your device.
2. Then, hold the Windows button and press R. On the pop-up box, type Excel/safe and press the "OK" button.
3. Try to access the excel file and open it. If still your application is experiencing this problem, proceed to the next step.
Check and remove faulty Add-ins which may be responsible for causing this problem.
4. Open excel in normal mode by double-clicking on excel's icon.
5. Locate and click on the Grid icon located on the top leftmost side of the screen.
6. Then, select the "Excel's options" button. On the excel options screen, locate and click on the Add-ins button
7. Then, on the drop-down menu, choose COM Add-ins. And then, click the "Go" button.
8. By doing so, the Add-ins page opens. Uncheck all the boxes on this page to disable them. Finally, click the "OK" button to save changes.
9. Lastly, restart or close the application and open it again to check if the issue is resolved.