The INFO function is an inbuilt function found in excel and serves as an information function. It is used to display details like recalculation mode, excel version, and the number of worksheets available in open workbooks. Also, it provides information about the operating environment, such as OS version and OS.
Description of the function
INFO function uses one argument:
Type _text (this is a text that provides the type of information returned)
You have to supply the type of information you want to use the INFO function.
There are seven different types of information to request. This syntax includes:
Type: information request
Directory: the path of a folder or a current directory
Origin: initial visible cell
Numfile: total number of worksheets that are open in workbooks.
Os version: the current operating system
Release: Microsoft Excel version
Recalc: automatic or manual current recalculation mode
System: name of operating system
How to use the info function
Excel users can understand how to use the function through examples. Below are some of them
1. Copy data in the table
2. Use a new excel worksheet to Paste the data in cell A1
3. Check the formula in the result column
4. The formulas found in the result column should show the result displayed in the description column
5. If the formulas are do not show, select them, tap F2, and Enter
6. You can change the width of the column to view the column
1. Put a line break on the starting point of the current OS(windows or mac)
2. Ensure the correct line break is used with the help of INFO function that is CHAR(13) for Mac and CHAR(10) for windows
3. The formula to use is:
4. Add the formula in cell F2
5. Use a formula that references F2 to use "break" as a variable later
6. The line break will be CHAR(13) if the excel is on a mac book
7. The line break will be CHAR(10) if it is not used on a mac book
8. Join together the address information in A, B, and C in column D
9. The result will be a concatenation of text together with line breaks
In case you use INFO formulas, the function will return the following results:
1." directory" gives back the path of a folder(current)
2."origin" gives information about the A1 reference style
3." Os-version" gives information about the operating system
4." Recalc"allows you to know if calculations are automatic and manual
5." system" gives information created on the window by a file
*These results are for windows; therefore, they can vary due to the operating system.
Tips to remember about info function excel
If the excel info function gives an error, it is likely to be the following reasons:
- #Value error happens when the "type-text argument" is an invalid value
- #N/A occurs when "memused", " memevail", and "totmem" type_text values give back memory information.
The function is applied to:
Excel 2000, Excel 2003, Excel XP, Excel 2007, Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel for office 365, Excel 2011 for Mac, Excel 2019, and Excel 2016.
It is easy to understand the info function in excel. For example, a statistics analyst gets get data from colleagues through excel files. The info excels function assists in getting information about several worksheets, excel versions, and OS.