Combining multiple columns in Excel can be a little tricky. It does not matter whether the version you are using is new or old. In most cases, data in columns on the left will remain the same while the data in other columns will be deleted. In this tutorial, we shall focus on how to combine four columns of data and merge them to become one.
Using the CONCATENATE function
1. We assume that column A, Column B, and Column C contains data that you want to merge.
2. You can use the CONCATENATE function below. Enter it in column D.
3. Locate your menu bar and select 'insert'.
4. Click 'function'. Proceed by clicking 'text functions' and then 'CONCATENATE.'
5. Move the cursor to the first text field and type A1. Move to the second text field and type B1 and to the third text field and type C1.
6. Click OK and all the columns will combine as one. You can copy and paste this for any number of records.
In the case of four columns, you should use:
7. Enter the function in cell E1. Proceed to the menu bar as stated above. After selecting CONCATENATE, enter A1, B1, C1, and D1 as the fields that match.
Alternatively, you can highlight the cell string in the formula and press F9.
Remove the curly brackets in the formula and press 'enter.' The merging result will show up.
By using the clipboard
You can easily lose your data after combining columns, but the use of a clipboard will prevent this. Now let's see how this is done.
Firstly, check the home tab and locate the clipboard. At the bottom right corner of the clipboard, you will find the 'anchor button.' Click the anchor button so that you can enable the clipboard. The anchor button is at the bottom-right right corner of the
Select all the columns that you wish to combine together.
Press "Ctrl + C keys" to copy. You can also copy from the home tab.
With this, you will copy the columns and list them in the clipboard at once.
Now, locate the blank cell where you wish to copy all the combined columns into. Double the blank cell and copy the items into the clipboard. The items you copied will now fill the active cell.
All the selected cells will be combined and in your selected cell.