Microsoft Excel is one of Microsoft Office Suite programs. It is a worksheets or spreadsheets program that supports a database. It uses macro programming for VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) for data analysis and visualization. The good thing about this program comes from the endless features it offers to the users. There are countless ways of dealing with numerical data like arithmetic calculations, using graphs, charts, and tables to represent data. The advantages are far from over as Excel also offers protection to spreadsheets. Anyone who wants their data protected can easily set a password to encrypt the spreadsheet. The password ensures no authorized access to the document, and only people who have the password can open the document.
But what if you want to remove the password? It is also quick and easy for both Mac and PC users if you remember your password. In the article below, read on to learn how to remove password protection from your spreadsheet.
Method 1: How to remove password protection in Excel manually using info feature
1. Go to your Microsoft Office Suite and launch the Microsoft Excel program.
2. Open the encrypted Excel spreadsheet file you want to remove the password. In case you have set opening password protection in the file, it means the file is locked. You will be required to enter it. Click OK when done.
3. On the upper left corner of your opened worksheet, click the File tab. Click on 'Info.'
4. Click on 'Protect Workbook' to open a drop-down menu. Then, choose the type of password protection you had set to remove.
- For Encrypt with Password option, all you have to do is clear the password written and click OK to remove the password. It works mostly for Excel 2019 to 2010.
- For 'Protect Current Sheet' and 'Protect Workbook Structure options,' get an Unprotect Sheet window and enter a password. Click OK to remove the protection. It works for Excel 2007 and older versions.
Note that you can also remove password protection from the Review tab and clicking either Protect Sheet or Protect Workbook. Clicking on Unprotect Sheet or Protect Workbook will automatically remove the password from the sheet.
Method 2: How to remove a password in an Excel sheet using the Home tab
1. Launch the Excel program and open the worksheet. You need to remove the password.
2. On the main ribbon menu, go to the Home tab.
3. Under the Cells group, click Format's drop-down arrow. From the list, select Unprotect Sheet.
4. Type in the password and then click OK to remove the password.
Method 3: Using Save As to remove password protection in Excel
1. Open the password-protected Excel worksheet. After this, go to the File tab and select Save As.
2. Click the arrow to display a pop-up window. On the window, click Tools, then select General Options from the drop-down menu.
3. In the dialogue box, clear the password to open and modify fields to remove them.
4. Click the OK button to save all changes made. Remember to click the save button to save your modified document.
The article above provides you with some methods you can remove password protection from your Excel files. The procedures mentioned above are some of the ways where you will end up with the same results. Always remember to save your work again after making any changes to it.