Some cells can be merged as you fill in data that seem similar. However, this action can make it hard for some simple tasks to be performed in the worksheet. For example, data cannot be sorted in columns with at least one merged cell. It also becomes difficult to filter and select range in the worksheet. Therefore, there is a need to unmerge cells in Microsoft excel so that these tasks can be performed with ease. The following are steps to follow.
1. Select the cells that you want to unmerge in excel.
2. Go to the Home tab, choose the Alignment group, and select Merge and Center.
3. You can also select the drop-down arrow next to the next Merge and Center key and then click on Unmerge Cells.
This way, Excel unmerges all the merged cells you have selected.
To unmerge all cells in your worksheet, follow these easy steps
1. Highlight your entire worksheet. You can do this by pressing Ctrl + A or clicking the little triangle in the upper left corner side of your worksheet.
Select the Merge and Center button. Do this when;
If it has been selected, click on it to unmerge the merged cells
If it has not been selected, there are no cells that have been merged in the worksheet.
You can also unmerge cells and then copy the original value to each cell that has been unmerged. In this way, the dataset is improved. Follow these simple steps.
2. Select the columns that have the merged cells
3. Click on Merge &Center buttons in the Home Tab. The merged cells are split, and data is filled in the upper- left unmerged cells
4. Select your entire table. Click on the Home Tab, select the Editing group and click Find & Select. Finally, click Go To Special
5. Tick off the Blanks Option. Finally, click OK.
6. Type the equality sign and press the Up Arrow key on your keyboard. The formula is created that fills the first blank cell with a value
7. To fill the unmerged cells currently blank, press Ctrl +Enter, and then enter the formula in the selected cells.
In the event that you have been given a poorly structured worksheet, you may find it difficult to find the cells that have been merged in that worksheet. Merged cells are to be avoided in Excel Worksheets to make the tasks to be performed here easy. Follow these simple steps to find out how you can find merged cells in Excel.
8. Press on Ctrl +F and open a dialog box. Click on Find
9. You can go to the Home Tab. Click on Editing Group, then Find & Select. Click on Find
10. Click Option and choose Format
11. Go to the Alignment Tab, click Merge cells and click OK
12. You can either click on Find Next to get the following merged cell or Find All to get a list of all the merged cells.